[Spice-devel] Announcing spice 0.9.0

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sat Jul 23 11:02:47 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:21:18PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 20:14 +0300, Alon Levy wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > > Great news! Any chance the turbo-jpeg change will be pushed down to
> > > 0.8.x? Thanks - John
> > >

> > Unfortunately I can't give you an ETA for that, or even say it will happen. We
> > are currently focused on getting the next 0.10.0 release, and working on the next
> > RHEL 6.2 releases.
> >
> > Why not try the 0.9.0 release? it is what will become 0.10.0 and could certainly
> > use some more users. It should be pretty stable (Famous Last Words).
> >
> > Alon
> We were trying to stay with the repositories but, considering the issues
> we are having with 0.8 as we examine if it is production ready, we
> probably should go with 0.9.  Is there a repository for it? If not, is

There is no repository for 0.9.

I don't think there is *that* much difference between 0.8 and 0.9 - if you
want to see the improvement Christophe did to the mjpeg encoding, sure, but
don't expect it to fix the 1:5 ratio you noticed. I haven't tried to
reproduce that ratio yet - so I don't know if it is your environment or
just a shortage of spice, but the bottom line is it won't be fixed by
switching to 0.9

> it safe to use the 0.8 source rpms and rebuild with new source? If not,
> we'll simply compile from source and try to keep it all straight.
> Thanks - John

It shoud work by just dropping in the 0.9 source and changing the version
in the spec, or you can build from source.