[Spice-devel] Windows 7 x64

Damien Churchill damoxc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 08:45:09 PDT 2011

On 2 June 2011 16:36, Al <yatengo.yimeil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Damien Churchill <damoxc <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I've compiled and installed the latest qxl driver for 64bit Windows 7,
>
> It would be great if you could share how you built qxl for 64 bits as the
> spice-space documentation for building the driver is not very clear, at
> least for recent people (including me) that are experimenting with this
> protocol.

I simply followed the instructions available on:
http://spice-space.org/page/WinQXL

Building

1. Get latest WinDDK and install it
2. Grab spice-protocol and snapshot of win32qxl and extract somewhere
3. Open a Free Build x64 command prompt from the WinDDK
4. set SPICE_COMMON_DIR=c:\path\to\spice-protocol
5. cd to qxl directory
6. build -cZg

Signing

Follow the steps here on how to sign the driver with a test certificate:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5698617/signing-x64-driver-with-test-certificate

Installing

1. Open elevated command prompt
2. bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
3. bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
4. Copy qxldd.dll to c:\windows\system32\
5. Copy qxl.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers\
6. Reboot

That's roughly the steps I took.