[Spice-devel] Streaming video performance concepts

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 03:16:05 PDT 2011

Dne 23.6.2011 11:49, Alon Levy napsal(a):
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:50:57AM +0300, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
>> We could throw many more into the thread.
>> When comparing video encodings, we must take into account:
>> - speed of encoding (many of the encoders are not fast enough for
>> real time, they may decode fast, but we need fast encoding too)
>> - quality (and how to measure it - see
>> http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/472 )
>> - features, flexibility, license, active development community, ...
>>
>> This is really not an easy task and there's probably not a
>> one-fit-all solution to it. Here's an example for some comparison -
>> http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/102
>>
>> Also, just a thought - say we do Flash pass-through (from guest to
>> client), have we solved perhaps solved 90% of the problem in
>> real-world usage?
>
> How would you propose to do this? write flash plugins for major (ie, ff, chrome)
> browsers? (well, chrome can take ff plugins I think, so down to two) and fake
> a proxy for the real plugin on the client?

We could use some video acceleration API, preferably VDPAU for Linux
guests and DXVA for Windows guests, because these APIs are supported by
Adobe Flash. The main disadvantage is non technical: we would either
need clients equipped with video-acceleration-capable GPUs or we would
have to include patent-free/royalty-free codecs only by default or we
would have to pay royalties for every client sold (possibly by buying
fluendo codecs). Technically, we could do video decoding on both guest
and client, depending on their power resources.

As for plugin passthrough, nspluginwrapper would help on firefox. I'm
not sure though, if something similar exists for IE.

David Jaša