[Spice-devel] repository reorg

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 05:03:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 01:10:01PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:18:11PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:00:10PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> >

> Ok, so take three:
>
>  (1) spice-protocol - remains unchanged. specifically, despite the name, will
>   not contain the .proto nor the python codegen bits nor the generated files.
>
>  (2) spice-common (repository spice/common) - new repository, contains:
>   spice*.proto
>   spice_codegen.py and friends (python_modules subdir)
>   produces a proper shared library, used by spice-server, spice-client, spice-gtk, named
>   libspice-common.so.0, containing marshalling and rendering code (including any decoder/encoder)
>   plus anything else currently in common (like ssl-verify).

This still leaves a small not 100% clean bit, it's the fact that
stuff from spice-common has to be used to generate
spice-protocol/spice/enums.h. This is done rarely enough that it's no big
deal to do it by hand, but it's worth mentioning.

While I agree that it's much better if spice-common becomes a "libspice",
short term it might be easier to just have a git submodule (probably only
some minor changes are needed). Then as as a second step it can be turned
into a shared library once everything is split to our liking. But either
way works for me.