[Spice-devel] Windows 7 dual-head - does it work?

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 13:59:34 PDT 2011

On 06/25/2011 02:00 PM, Alon Levy wrote:
> Works fine here. What version of the driver are you using? have you built
> it yourself or are you using the ones on spice-space (I hope we have some there :)?

I am using version 0.6.1 from
http://spice-space.org/download/binaries/qxl-win32-0.6.1.zip

I am able to install the QXL driver for the "Standard VGA Adapter" (or
whatever Windows calls it) using the technique here:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/virt/2011-February/002543.html

Trying to use the same technique for the "Video Controller" gets me an
error message that the device can't start (code 10) followed by a BSOD.
I notice that qemu-kvm says:

qemu-kvm: virtio_ioport_write: unexpected address 0x13 value 0x1
qemu-kvm: virtio: trying to map MMIO memory

(I also got a repeating BSOD at the first reboot when I tried to install
Windows 7 SP1 with 2 QXL devices.  I had to remove the second QXL device
to complete the installation and then add it back.)

I am attaching the script that I use to start the guest.

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                         arequipeno at gmail.com
"If you're going to shift my paradigm ... at least buy me dinner first."