[Spice-devel] Audio Fails in 64-bit Windows7 Guest

Naga Mohan Pothula nagamohan.pothula at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 15:34:30 PDT 2011

Hi,

Audio is not working in 64-bit Windows7 Guest connected from any Linux/Windows Client.
I noticed this problem with Spice v0.63/0.8 versions. I haven't tried on other Spice versions.
When starting Spice Server, we are specifying "-soundhw AC97" option

I have read in some forums that Qemu-kvm supports the following sound cards other than AC 97.
pcspk PC speaker – not all VM guests supports (read in some forum).
sb16 Creative Sound Blaster 16.
es1370 ENSONIQ AudioPCI ES1370 – windows 7 recognizes this but frequent driver crashes(read in some forum).
I read in some forums that Audio would not work in 64-bit Windows7 even we specified above sound card names.
I tried installing Realtek AC97 Audio driver but it is not working.
Can anyone please let me know which Audio driver needs to be installed/soundcard to be specified to support Audio in Win7 x64?

Thanks/Mohan.