[Spice-devel] androidSpice-0.1.6 released

Shuxiang Lim shohyanglim at gmail.com
Fri May 13 01:38:38 PDT 2011

Hi,All!
  Since the dilemma I faced in the use of QXL worked around and  the client
bugs fixed,I'm glad to
release the androidSpice-0.1.6 on google code under LGPL:

http://code.google.com/p/spice-client-android/

You shall check the wiki page of it for the build/install/use of it or
download the .apk or src files.
Any use or improvement will be appreciated!
 Besides, this version will need no change in server side at all,that is,it
can process all QXL-mode image types. But its response will be slower than
the former server-jpeg way,especially with QXL. The current architect is :
1.libspicec.so acts as the data client and processes all image data from
server into image buffer in mem.
2.when image buffer updated,android-worker.c will take the data from buffer,
do jpeg_encode,then send the jpg to JAVA UI to display.
Here is the reason I commented in jni/android-spice-src/android-worker.c:
*/*
177  * All the sins comes from the architect of Android: All UI must be
178  * written in Java(at least <2.3), so I have to send the image buffer
data to Java
179  * with Little and Fast flow as possible for the Easy display of
latter,hence the use of JPEG_COMP.
180  * FIXME:This maybe the only rational way,but that means androidSpice
will never leave
181  * the status quo labelled EXPERIMENTAL.Tragic...
182  *
183  * FIXME: androidSpice UI in JAVA can only process the image of
horizontal bars
184  * So,even QXL gives me normal tiny rectangles,I should send bars to
JAVA.
185  * So I abandon some little rects to low the flow,this is stupid
though...
186  */*

So I think this is the reasonable way: If not all the type of images be
processed, where is the value of SPICE?
But the "reasonable" way must face the unreasonable obstacle in Android:How
to send image to JAVA UI, with little and fast flow and easy format for
java?
I choose JPEG,but that's the reason why in QXL will be slower than in VGA
STD. And there is no cursor displayed in client in QXL mode for I haven't
compose it in JAVA UI.

Is my architect right,or is my jpeg_encode decision improvable? Any ideas?

(BTW,My contract will expire this month,anyone can advice or introduce a job
with handsome salary in China? My current one is bleak..)
(另,我合同本月到期,那位能帮在上海介绍一个工资拉风点的工作阿,目前的有点...)
(因みに、コントラクトは今月に終わるので、誰がもっと適当なサラリをできる仕事を紹介してくれませんか?上海に居るんですげと。。)

Best Regards.