[Spice-devel] spice broken with upstream qemu / qemu-kvm

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 00:51:40 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 11/03/2011 07:58 AM, Yonit Halperin wrote:
> On 11/02/2011 10:06 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today I've tried to build (succeeded) and run (failed)
>> spice + qemu from upstream git (1.0-rc0) I tried both
>> regular qemu as well as qemu-kvm.
>>
>> In both cases the qemu binary works fine as long as I don't
>> start it with -vga qxl.
> What exactly do you see?

When I connect with a spice client I just see a black screen,
also waiting what should clearly be long enough for the system
to boot and then try to ssh in does not work. So it seems that
the vm is hanging on startup.

Which BIOS files are you using / where did you get them from?

> I've tried qemu upstream + spice upstream. I used Windows 7 guest
> and some of the times it hanged on start up before going from vga mode to native mode. After I removed the virtio-serial device it seems that spice works fine.

Interesting I had a similar problem with an XP guest a while ago,
downgrading the virtio serial driver from this one:
http://spice-space.org/download/binaries/virtio-serial_20110725.zip
To this one:
http://spice-space.org/download/unstable/vioserial-win-1.1.16.zip

Made the problem of hang on startup go away. Also iirc if you connect
the spice client after the bios screen, but before the switch from
vga to native, then the hang happens. Where as if you connect
after the switch from vga to native the hang does not happen.

I'm afraid I failed to properly follow up on this, but if you can
reproduce, and also can confirm that the problem goes away when
you downgrade to vioserial-win-1.1.16.zip, then it is time to
file a bug with the virtio guys.

Regards,

Hans