[Spice-devel] OpenGL "passthrough"

Mosebach Kai kai.mosebach at bsse.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 9 07:57:30 PST 2011

On 11/9/11 3:51 PM, "Alon Levy" <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 01:52:12PM +0000, Mosebach  Kai wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Just a though :
>>
>> In a scenario where a kvm-host system has a openGL capable display
>> adapter, wouldn't it be possible (and relatively simple compared to a
>>full
>> VGA passthrough) to just
>> pass the OpenGL interface/access into the VMs QXL Adapter making this
>>one
>> (HW accelerated) OpenGL aware?
>
>There are threads in qemu-devel about using pci passthrough for using

I tried for long time now to pass through PCIe Hardware into the guest
with all kind of PCIe cards w/o too much off success. So that¹s not what I
want ;-)

>the host GPU from the guest. If you actually want to view the results
>then yes, it's relatively simple in theory. Maybe also in practice, but
>I've been struggling with a slightly larger problem, doing OpenGL and
>Direct3D passthrough, for almost a year now, with no results to show :/
>
>I do have patches on my harddrive somewhere by Izik Eidos that do a
>proof of concept for GL passthrough from a windows guest to a
>windows/linux client, I could ask him if it's ok to post them if you'd
>like. (and if I can find them).
>
>Basically it adds qxl messages for all the GL commands, adds a surface
>type, tracks all commands from the last SwapBuffers (I guess
>wglSwapBuffers - the equivalent of glXSwapBuffers) per surface, and
>passes all of those to the client. Rendering on the server, that is the
>host, will be a little simpler.

So (if I got you right and you got me right) we talk about the QXL device
on the KVM guest receiving OpenGL commands and passing them (thru
qemu-kvm) downwards to the OpenGL capable hardware on the KVM Host
(server). The client (spicec or similar) should not be involved at all. Is
there any work in progress (for rendering on the server) - similar to the
RemoteFX project of HyperV?

Cheers Kai