[Spice-devel] How do I install vioser in virt-manager?

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 19:25:28 PST 2011

> On 11/11/2011 03:36 AM, David Jaša wrote:
>> Todd And Margo Chester píše v Čt 10. 11. 2011 v 10:58 -0800:

>>> My revisions:
>>>
>>>          $ rpm -qa \*spice\*
>>>          spice-server-0.8.0-1.el6.x86_64
>>>          spice-client-0.8.0-2.el6.x86_64
>>>          spice-protocol-0.8.0-1.el6.noarch
>>>
>>>          # rpm -qa \*vdagent\*
>>>          spice-vdagent-0.6.3-8.el6.x86_64
>>>
>>>          $ rpm -qa \*kvm\*
>>>          qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.160.el6_1.2.x86_64
>>>
>>>          $ cat /etc/redhat-release
>>>          Scientific Linux release 6.1 (Carbon)
>>>
>>>          $ uname -r
>>>          2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64
>>>          # ls /dev/virtio-ports/
>>>          ls: cannot access /dev/virtio-ports/: No such file or
>>>          directory
>>>

>>> Hi Alon,
>>>
>>> I must be missing something.  For starters, I have
>>> no /dev/virtio-ports
>>> directory.
>>>
>>> I also must be blind too, as I can not find an "other devices" in my
>>> virt-manager.
>>> Please forgive the picture, but this is what I see:
>>>
>>> virt-manager
>>>

>>> This is so frustrating.  What am I doing wrong?
>>>
>> It seems to me that your version of virt-manager doesn't know about
>> spice channel yet, so I suggest you to add it to libvirt configuration
>> via CLI - run 'virsh edit $YOUR_VM_NAME' and add spicevmc channel to
>> devices list as described here:
>> http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementCharChannel
>>
>> Once you add it, you should see the channel in virt-manager, too.
>
> Hi David,
>
>    I am confused.  Any change you can show me an example?  Are you
> running Virtio-serial on your machine?  Can you show me what yours
> looks like?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Hi David,

    Maybe it would if I got a bit more specific as to why I am confused.
Now, I am good at editing, and have used "vi" for years, and am no
stranger to copying and pasting.  I just don't understand the why
behind what I am pasting.

    Specifically, this line from
http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementCharChannel:

     <channel type='pty'>
        <target type='virtio' name='arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name'/>
     </channel>

"arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name" is what is confusing me.  I highly
doubt this is the "any key".  "arbitrary" always has to be matched with
"arbitrary" somewhere else.  What somewhere else?  This is confusing me.
And, why an example of your (or anyone else's) would be of great help.

Sorry for being so thick here.

Many thanks,
-T