[Spice-devel] spice-vdagentd won't start -- missing /dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.spice.0

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 01:31:36 PST 2011

Hey,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 09:31:50PM -0800, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> Problem: I have no "/dev/virtio-ports" directory.  "spice-vdagentd" exits as
> it is suppose to.
>
> How do I get "/dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.spice.0" to show up?  What did I
> not install?  What am I doing wrong?

It should show up if you specified the right devices on qemu command line,
they are listed in vdagent README, but libvirt should automatically do the
right thing if you're using virt-manager. Just to be 100% sure we are on
the same line, the agent runs inside the guest, not on the host or on the
machine running the spice client.

Hope that helps,