[Spice-devel] Interested in Contributing to SPICE

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sun Oct 2 06:31:01 PDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 03:15:52PM +0200, Timothy Sparg wrote:
>    Hi all
>    I'm interested in the possibilty of contributing a Java based client to
>    the SPICE project.
>    My long term goal would be to create a reusable viewer component - the
>    same component could then be used to create an applet based viewer or a
>    viewer embedded in a java application.
>    I'm currently just perusing the SPICE protocol, but i suspect that it
>    will take me a while to start getting my head around it.
>    What are your views and thoughts as the SPICE developers, would you be
>    interested in somebody working towards the goal of a java based client?
>    Where should I get started learning the basics of the SPICE project?
>    Regards
>    Tim Sparg

Sounds like something a lot of people could use. You have two source code
bases to look at, spicec and spice-gtk, for existing clients, though I suspect
the later is cleaner. spicec is pretty old, written in C++, spice-gtk is C and a
year and a half old and the future client, for instance it is the only one
with support for usb redirection right now.

The protocol is somewhat documented - the existing documentation is
unfortunately old and doesn't cover off screen surfaces. However it is still
mostly correct, so I'd start reading it, see documents link below.

Main urls:

 documents - http://spice-space.org/documentation.html
  but with the previous warning - some of it is old and false.

 source - http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice
  the clients are:
   old client: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice/
   (spicec is a place holder, the old client is meant to be moved
   there eventually)
   new client: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-gtk/

 building/setup help - http://spice-space.org/page/DeveloperStartPage