[Spice-devel] Image Compression.

Yonit Halperin yhalperi at redhat.com
Sun Sep 18 05:11:07 PDT 2011

On 09/16/2011 11:21 PM, Naga Mohan Pothula wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could anyone please respond to my questions on Image Compression?
> Comparision of auto_glz with Quic?
> why auto_glz is taken as default?

Hi,
Both GLZ and QUIC are lossless compression algorithms.
Quic uses predictive encoding, while GLZ is dictionary-based.
As such, Quic compresses better picture-like images, while GLZ is better
with images with patterns.
auto_glz means that for each image we heuristically choose the
compression method (GLZ vs. Quic) according to some sampling of the pixels.

Indeed. See some plans in http://spice-space.org/page/EnhancePerf