[Spice-devel] problems with cut n paste - WinXP VM specificall

Mike Hinz mike.hinz at yr20.com
Thu Sep 29 18:05:53 PDT 2011

All,

I'd like to be able to use the cut n paste function between a host
machine a VM.  Here's what I've tried and found so far.

Host is a F15-64 bit system with virt-preview repo enabled and
everything fully updated.

First VM is F16-64bit-beta-rc3 with everything fully updated.  Cut and
paste works perfectly between that VM and the host.  All I had to do was
to install spice-vdagent and viola, it worked!

Second VM is WinXP-SP3 with the qxl video driver, the virtio-serial
driver, and the vdagent all installed within the VM.  All these were
downloaded from the spice-space.org website and are the latest versions
on the download page.  Examining the WinXP device manager and the admin
console to check services, it appears to me that all 3 drivers are
correctly loaded.  Certainly sound works and the video is quite good
quality so I'm sure that major portions of everything are indeed working
correctly.

This WinXP VM will not cut n paste at all.  I've struggled to find the
issue and the only clues I have are as follows:

In the log file /var/log/libvirt/qemu/winxp.log, I see the following 3
lines when I attempt to copy a bit of text from within Wordpad in the
VM:

main_channel_release_pipe_item: SPICE_MSG_MAIN_AGENT_DATA 0x3d2dea0
0x3d2d040, 0
main_channel_release_pipe_item: SPICE_MSG_MAIN_AGENT_DATA 0x3d2dea0
0x3d26cc0, 0
dispatch_vdi_port_data: invalid port

I also did 'virt-manager --debug' to see if I could see any relevant
messages there and I see the following:

(virt-manager:2574): GSpice-CRITICAL **: agent_clipboard_request:
assertion `c->agent_connected' failed

followed by

(virt-manager:2574): GSpice-WARNING **: clipboard get timed out

Which then seem to report every time to you try to copy something from
within the VM.

The above log messages look wrong to me, so I wanted to report them to
see if there's something obvious.

What's next?  Should I file this as a bug and if so where?
--
Thanks!

Mike Hinz
President