[Spice-devel] WinXP with Standard PC CPU model continuously restarts..

Naga Mohan Pothula nagamohan.pothula at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 14:59:05 PDT 2012

Hi,

WinXP having Standard PC CPU model continuously restarts while booting and have seen BSOD. Please refer attached screenshots.

Initially, WnXP guest has MPS Uniprocessor PC and I'm having problem while doing shutdown. It hangs displaying "Its now safe to turn your computer"
I have read below article that If we change CPU model to Standard PC and install NT APM legacy driver, guest will be shutdown automatically.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

By doing this it worked fine with different WinXP guest earlier. If i do the same to my WinXP guest I'm seeing above specified issue.
Instead of changing to Standard PC, I thought of changing to ACPI complaint.
But after reading below article, I understood we can't change CPU models(MPS Uniprocessor PC/ MPS Multiprocessor PC / Standard PC) to ACPI simply by Update Driver.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

I have noticed this behaviour even with WinXP guest launched from Virt-manager on Centos 6.2.

I can't reinstall WinXP guest OS to specify ACPI.
Is there anyway to change CPU model as ACPI complaint from MPS uniprocessor PC?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Naga.