[Spice-devel] Keyboard layout change on Xspice

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 00:05:34 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 12:52:53PM -0400, David Mansfield wrote:

> On 04/05/2012 11:58 AM, Alon Levy wrote:
> >On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 01:24:54PM +0200, Michael Niehren wrote:
> >>Hi together,
> >>
> >>i successfully installed and connected to Xspice und FC16, great work, i was very pleased
> >>to see, what's possible with spice.
> >>
> >>1 thing left to use it as an Server to connect from my thin client is the keyboard layout.
> >>As i live in Germany i want to have the german keyboard layout. If i connect with the
> >>spice-client i only got the english one. Is there a way to change that (i didn's find one)
> >>?
> >(Continuing my previous reply). OK - tried a non english keyboard
> >(hebrew), and it works fine. The thing to understand is that changing
> >the keyboard mapping on the client doesn't affect the server - only
> >changes on the server side affect it. So to get a german keyboard, you'd
> >need to change the keyboard on the remote side, the server, for instance
> >I just used "setxkbmap il" to change the keymap to the hebrew one on the
> >remote side.
> >

> I've been troubled by this too, because I use DVORAK mapping.  Is
> there anything in the pipeline for the spice-agent to address this?

I don't think there is anything to fix, unless I misunderstand - the way
it works is that the keyboard map is determined by the Xspice Xserver
entirely, and not by the spice client. That's the way spice keyboard
works, and it avoids having to encode anything about the keyboard map at
the spice level. The spice keyboard protocol is the same an AT keyboard
talks to the pc.

A spice agent would help other things, like copy paste support, and
better mouse performance for latency laden networks, but has nothing to
offer for keyboard - I don't see what there is to fix here, maybe you
can explain.