[Spice-devel] Performance of Xspice - some results, and a potential patch

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Aug 8 06:23:27 PDT 2012

> I forgot to ask that you measure CPU consumption on the server:
> You could have (manually) enable better compression schemes for the images, which would have reduced the total bytes sent.
> That costs CPU, though.

I did perform a crude version of that measurement (jiffies for the Xorg process).
I didn't include it in the results, as I was trying to keep my
message focused (brevity is not a natural strength of mine :-/).

The Libre Office case used 1945 jiffies for unmodified Spice; 590 with the
deferred_fps patch.  The Word 2007 test used 1294 jiffies unmodified, and 932
with the deferred_fps patch.  That suggests that my approach certainly does
not add to the CPU burden (which is not surprising, if you review the code
paths relative to the operation stream).

> BTW, if you could post a (compressed) capture of your traffic, should be fairly easy to evaluate how many images were sent, how many were cached, and how many other commands were sent. May help focus on the important stuff to optimize, from bandwidth point of view.

Actually, I spent a fair amount of time instrumenting the stream,
so I think I understand the traffic reasonably well.  I've attached the
latest iteration of one of the patches I used to analyze the traffic.
I have another patch which records wire operations in and out of the
spice server, and while it has actual traffic data I wanted,
it lacks the specificity of uxa operation that I craved.

And, again, when I ran that instrumentation for my test cases, I found that
the stream was so overwhelmingly dominated by certain operations that
all the other information (e.g. images, caching, and so on) seemed
irrelevant.  I don't have exact numbers in front of me at the moment,
but my recollection was that solid() (e.g. region fill) based calls
represented over 95% of the traffic in the Libre Office test case.

Cheers,

Jeremy