[Spice-devel] Passed trough video card screen access

Борис Морозов umvirt at yandex.ru
Sun Aug 19 22:57:23 PDT 2012

I wish to migrate from tower cases into nettops to make contribution to ecology by using KVM based virtualization. I made some expiriments that show me that i'am in right way but only one thing is obstacle from success.

Some days ago on my server i successfully passtrough AMD HD 6770 video card in Windows 7 virtual machine controled by KVM. It's looks cool. After video card driver install i become unable to work with SPICE client display. It's show only black screen with Windows logo, video card output used as default.

I've got temporary solution to use VNC to access videocard framebuffer but it can't used to watch movies and play games. In way of using Spice i can watch movies and play old games without hardware 3D-acceleration.

Is there way to get access to screen of passed video card from Spice-client or standalone Spice-server for Windows guest is needed?

Best regards, Boris Morozov.