[Spice-devel] New xrandr multi-mon / arbitrary resolution support issues

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sun Aug 26 08:29:43 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 08/26/2012 03:48 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As part of integrating the spice-vdagent xrandr patches
> (done, as there were many other patches pending, so fixes
> can just be applied on top), I've been testing the new
> xrandr multi-mon / arbitrary resolution support.
>
> With single monitor setups, things work fine, but with
> multiple monitor setups things don't work as advertised.

Ok, so the problem was thatI thought that all changes except for
the xorg-x11-drv-qxl changes were upstream, and thus having the latest
master from all was enough, that is not the case, I needed to
pull in the qemu changes, then all the problems I was seeing are
gone, but instead there are some new ones:

1) when enabling a new display through remote-viewer the initial
resolution is no good, it should be something sensible, maybe the
same size as the existing display?

2) When using --full-screen=auto-conf both windows get shown
on the same real monitor, so the user in essence sees only one
as they cover eachother, also to match, they both get
send to the guest as being 1920x1080+0+0 for both, making the
guest think they are in clone mode, even if you leave fullscreen,
and reposition the windows to have one on each monitor

3) When making resolution changes from within the guest,
remote-viewer resizes then sends a resolution change event to
the guest, which can lead to getting another resolution then
requested. I believe that remote-viewer should not send
monitorinfo messages when receiving a resize over the display
channel.

Regards,

Hans