[Spice-devel] New xrandr multi-mon / arbitrary resolution support issues

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sun Aug 26 06:48:44 PDT 2012

Hi,

As part of integrating the spice-vdagent xrandr patches
(done, as there were many other patches pending, so fixes
can just be applied on top), I've been testing the new
xrandr multi-mon / arbitrary resolution support.

With single monitor setups, things work fine, but with
multiple monitor setups things don't work as advertised.

1) There is no way to enable extra monitors from
remote-viewer, with the new xrandr code I would expect
there to be 4 displays under the view->displays menu, but
there is only 1.

2) Starting remote viewer with --full-screen=auto-conf,
does result in the 2nd qxl head being enabled, but
remote-viewer viewer does not see it as a separate
display, instead the 2 monitors are rendered next to
each other in a single window. And since windows full
screen to a single monitor, this means that after
--full-screen=auto-conf, the user gets 2 small views
into the guest next to each other in a single full-screen
window, with large black areas above and below, see the
attached screenshot (which shows both my monitors)

3) Exiting fullscreen mode after using --full-screen=auto-conf
results in remote-viewer resizing its window to fit both
monitors next to each other, so in my case to 3840x1080, and
then telling the agent to resize monitor 1 inside the guest
to 3840x1080, and not touching monitor 2. So the guest now
thinks it has 2 monitors 1 of 3840x1080, and  a second one
mapped of 1920x1080+1920+0, so it thinks the second monitor
is a clone of the right halve of the screen... And remote-viewer
does not show this clone at all

4) Resizing the window after step 3. (since 3840x1080 won't fit
when adding window decorations, etc. results in the per x-session
agent process in the guest crashing with:

spice-vdagent[1483]: 0xc07010 received monitors config, arg1: 0, arg2: 0, size 48
spice-vdagent[1483]: from guest: 2, 1
spice-vdagent[1483]: received monitor 0 config 3840x1080+0+0
spice-vdagent[1483]: received monitor 1 config 1920x1080+1920+0
spice-vdagent[1483]: after zeroing: 2, 1
spice-vdagent[1483]: received monitor 0 config 3840x1080+0+0
spice-vdagent[1483]: received monitor 1 config 1920x1080+1920+0
spice-vdagent[1483]: delete_mode of in use mode, setting crtc to NULL mode
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
   Major opcode of failed request:  148 (RANDR)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  21 (RRSetCrtcConfig)
   Serial number of failed request:  100
[hans at localhost ~]$

Regards,

Hans