[Spice-devel] Native USB redirection does not work - (remote-viewer) did not claim interface 0 before use

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 23:36:02 PST 2012

> On 12/02/2012 11:58 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 11/30/2012 03:40 PM, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have disabled pcscd with chkconfig and rebooted. After the
> >> reboot I
> >> attempted to connect to the
> >> VDI and share my smart card reader again. The same issue occured.
> >

> > ifdhandler is still messing with the reader while spice tries to
> > use
> > it, I would have expected the
> > stopping of pcscd to also stop ifdhandler, but it seems I was
> > wrong.
> > Please also disable ifdhandler,
> > I suspect that will solve your issue.
> >

> And that worked just fine.  I can forward my smart card reader to the
> Win 7 VDI now. Thank you.
>
> Would you consider this to be a bug?
>
> Is this the best way to share my smartcard reader with my Win 7 VDI?
> I noticed some specific smartcard options to the remote-viewer. What
> is
> the purpose of these?

There is an additional dedicated smartcard channel that you can use. It is meant for using a smartcard in the guest while keeping the ability to use the smartcard in the client. With usb remoting you do not have access to the smartcard device on the client. Usage is like:

remote-viewer --spice-smartcard <other options>

It works well with linux guests, but we don't have recent reports on windows guests working, although it was tested more then a year ago.

I'll be happy to have new reports..