[Spice-devel] Translating the Spice protocol using spice-client-glib

Michael Jumper mike.jumper at guac-dev.org
Tue Dec 11 09:24:04 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking to use spice-client-glib (which seems to be the only
>> low-level client library available) to implement a plugin for guacd
>> which translates between the Spice protocol and the Guacamole
>> protocol, thus adding Spice support to Guacamole (an HTML5 remote
>> desktop gateway).
>
> Have you ruled out using spice protocol all the way to the client and integrating the wip spice-html5 client?
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-html5 & demo: http://spice-space.org/spice-html5/spice.html

Yes, as that would go against the architecture of Guacamole, and would
not be as performant in general. The main project goals of providing
centralized authentication and protocol-independent access for a
potentially large group of machines would be defeated.

>> Any advice? Am I missing something?
>>

> I guess your use case was not anticipated, i.e. using spice-glib to translate to another protocol for an ultimate client.

Indeed, though I imagine any platform where there are significant
performance gains available for copy operations vs. straight draw
operations would end up with the same questions.

Thanks anyway,

- Mike