[Spice-devel] virt-viewer windows does not support grabbing mouse

Peter Styk polfilm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 19:48:18 PST 2012

Hi,

I've decided to compile virt-viewer under windows. I basically need
spice-widget as a .NET windows forms component. Before I worry about .NET i
have to figure out how to compile this under windows. Here is what I found
out...and having said that I know about zero about C.

Easiest way to compile windows binaries is with the Mingw32 cross-compiler
under Fedora.

What I want to do is to make this work under windows and so far I've
reduced number of errors from 8500 to about 2500 ;)

My current setup is
Ming32 with MSys http://www.mingw.org/
Gtk+ http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php
Python27 http://www.python.org/getit/windows/
Eclipse for IDE http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Primary components are:

spice-gtk
spice-protocol
spice-common
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/

additional components I have as of now:
pixman http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pixman/
openssl

Building instructions page mentions the following components under linux so
this will be no  different under windows:

pixman-devel
celt051-devel
cegui-devel
libjpeg-devel
alsa-lib-devel
log4cpp-devel
openssl-devel
libXrandr-devel
libgcrypt-devel
SDL-devel
dev86
iasl
pyparsing

I have found spice build page (outdated). Talks of windows client build but
it means outdated not anymore supportd spicec client (marked in the source
as spicec - old client using low level GDI/X)
http://spice-space.org/page/Building_Instructions

Draft of user manual (outdated (c) 2009)
http://spice-space.org/docs/spice_user_manual.pdf

Overall having some hard time figuring out dependencies and building
support components from scratch (even before I get to building spice
elements).
Primer on autotools was a must, still not sure if it works properly with
MSYS.

I would appreciate any hints as to the structure of things and ability to
attach precompiled binaries
http://www.spice-space.org/download/stable/wspice-x86_20110308.zipreferenced
in the docs as (runtime dependencies of the old SPICE client) So
use them or not to use them? Also not sure if "celt" has been modified from
original.

What would be really cool would be a pom.xml file for the Maven plugin.

So here it is and that's what I've learned in about 2-3 days. Anyone on the
same or similar track wants to join forces I'm here night and day until it
compiles :) Let's put together a list of everything including versions,
tools, paths that are required for success build. Its 4:48am... I'm
departing.

Kindest Regards,
Peter Styk (polfilm on #spice)