[Spice-devel] Untested idea: enlarge the TCP send buffer (server), receive buffer (client)

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 12:47:07 PST 2012

For both LAN (high bandwidth, high performance) and WAN (high latency)
perhaps it may be worthwhile to increase (via socket options) the TCP
receive (on the client) and send (on the server) buffers for the display
channel? It will cause:
- bigger TCP window (which is good for both cases above)
- some waste of memory (negligible,  I think it's enough to increase to
256K or so for each).

I suspect it might make a difference especially in video streaming.

It's a simple patch (I hope - via setsockopt()  ) and does not require
feature negotiation, but I'm not sure I have the tools to test such change.

Thoughts?
Y.