[Spice-devel] Untested idea: enlarge the TCP send buffer (server), receive buffer (client)

Yonit Halperin yhalperi at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 22:45:07 PST 2012

On 02/13/2012 10:47 PM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> For both LAN (high bandwidth, high performance) and WAN (high latency)
> perhaps it may be worthwhile to increase (via socket options) the TCP
> receive (on the client) and send (on the server) buffers for the display
> channel? It will cause:
> - bigger TCP window (which is good for both cases above)
> - some waste of memory (negligible, I think it's enough to increase to
> 256K or so for each).

Hi,
I've started investigating it a bit, but from spice network captures I
didn't see that the window size is a limiting factor. In all of the
scenarios I saw, the windows was big enough during all the session . I
don't recall many cases in which the available window size was close to
zero. Still, I didn't completed testing this and we do plan to add
options to configure the window size and test how it affects different
scenarios.

> I suspect it might make a difference especially in video streaming.

btw, I've started to work on moving the video to udp.