[Spice-devel] CAD calculations serverside.

Jorgen.Davidsson at exait.se Jorgen.Davidsson at exait.se
Mon Feb 20 05:15:58 PST 2012

Hi

I'm looking at a way to run CAD from multiple clients for a low cost and
the graphics calculations need to be done serverside since some of the
clients connecting to the server aren't that powerful.

I was looking at a solution where we install a graphics card in the
physical server and run a kvm on the server wich would then run CAD and
deliver the desktop to the clients via the spice proocol.
I've been reading up on the spice protocol and learned that it tries to
lay over the calculations on the client-side but since some of the clients
aren't that powerful I would need to know how the spice protocol would
handle calculations requested by the weaker clients that can't handle
those calculations.

Does the spice protocol automatically detect this and move the
calculations serverside or will it still tell the client to do the
calculations?
If it automatically tells the client to do the calculation is it possible
to change a setting where the Spice-server would prefer calculations being
done serverside if the client has difficulties doing the calculations?

We are looking for the graphics delivered to the client to run smooth for
those with client's featuring a strong gpu as well as those running a
client with a weak gpu.

Excuse me beforehand if i cant explain my question in a good way but I
hope you understand what I'm looking for.

Regards Jörgen