[Spice-devel] developer assistance

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 05:11:11 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 01:35:44PM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:11:27PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 01:34:17PM -0500, William F Rotach wrote:
> > >    Hello Alon,
> > >      The whole spice project is interesting to me. The passing of 3D commands
> > >    (openGL, directX or open CL) across the interface is of particular
> > >    interest, but I am not certain if there is more foundation work needed
> > >    prior to resolving this feature.
> > >      I am willing to work on what is needed, and a little direction would be
> > >    appreciated.
> > >      Thank you for your time,
> > >      Regards,
> > >      Will Rotach
> >
> > Hi William,
> >
> >  Sorry for not answering earlier, on list is better then private. There
> >  are quite a lot of things that can be done. 3D for instance - I'm the
> >  only one working on it right now and it's proceeding slowly, more
> >  details at the end of the email. There are lower fruit to pick, you
> >  should look at the FutureFeatures page, I guess you already did,
> >  although it is not kept totally up to date it is mostly there. Some
> >  things off the top of my head:
> >
> >   - OPUS usage instead of CELT051. This looked simple at the beginning,
> >     it's probably still relatively simple, but it is a little
> >     complicated by the fact that OPUS uses 48000 Hz sampling rate
> >     and CELT051 uses 44100 Hz.
>
> For what it's worth, the celt code in opus can handle 44100 just fine if
> I'm reading the code correctly (celt_encoder_init), but this involves
> resampling which is suboptimal.

Ok, missed that, but still the same conclusion. What I thought was that
instead of having a guest that can do opus or celt, depending on the
client capability, we would have the guest specific for opus or for celt
by providing sound hw that provides just the specific codec optimal
sampling rate (in both playback and record). That would mean a different
qemu command line for opus or for celt, but simple and efficient
implementation. Otoh it would mean a newer machine couldn't support
older clients. Or, we could do resampling just in the case of 48->44.1,
for celt clients on an opus server.