[Spice-devel] whether spice support serial device redirection

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 06:17:21 PDT 2012

dawn li píše v Pá 20. 07. 2012 v 08:16 +0800:
> HI, everyone,
>    Sorry to bother you! Do you know whether spice support serial
> device redirection? If it does,
> how I can achieve it. Please give me some help, thanks.

Hi Dawn,

Spice doesn't support device redirection but I guess that it shouldn't
be too hard to program it because for example client <--> agent
communication goes over existing serial port. Essentially, you'd have
to:
* add a new channel type for serial pass through
* teach qemu and spice-server to connect this channel with
  virtual serial port you'll create in the guest
* teach client to open the device and move data back and forth between
  the new channel and the device

I understand it's not of much help if you'd need something right away
but there you go.

David

PS: Yaniv, what about giving this as another yet another topic, say for
bachelor degree students?