[Spice-devel] Announcing the first version of spice-html5

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Jun 6 07:08:05 PDT 2012

>> *blush*  Yes, sorry, the keyboard code is truly awful.  It's a matter of
>> translating web key codes into scan codes; I didn't find a good way to
>> do it, and just used a brute force hack. If you're at all a programmer,
>> it would be easy to extend the hack and fix the key codes for yourself;
>> that code is in utils.js.
>
> No escape to get the scancode from the browser? have to wait for html6?

None that I found (which is not necessarily !== none <grin>).  All I
could find were faqs that said key codes in general are a mess and not
standardized (they apparently vary by browser), and certainly nothing to
go from key codes to scan codes.

My thought was to later explore some of the third party libraries that
try to mitigate these issues, and see if riffing off one of those leads
to a slightly less ugly solution.

There are also some tricky issues around keyboard handling I didn't even
begin to think about (e.g. tab, escape, alt-tab, and so on).

Cheers,

Jeremy