[Spice-devel] Add support for A8 bitmap format

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sun Jun 17 02:03:33 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 01:57:49AM -0400, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> [...]

Perhaps this is really required in this case. We could do something like
the following:

Device memory: add client_capabilities == SPICE_DISPALY_CAP_*
Device added INTERRUPT_CLIENT_CAPS_UPDATED
Server QXLInterface->update_client_capabilities
Server & Client SPICE_DISPLAY_CAP_A8

Only problem with this approach is that the driver doesn't have an
interrupt handler, and it won't until we move to KMS.

Heavy handed alternative:
 - Filter the messages in the server and translate any A8 message to ??
 - Don't allow clients to connect without CAP_A8 if server advertises
   it, & advertise it iff some magic qemu command line, i.e. -device
   qxl,use_a8=1 . Driver will see the same parameter.

I guess I'm advocating the last option - for older client support we run
without use_a8=1, also for windows guests. For better performing new
xf86 driver we use use_a8=1 and require new clients as a result.