[Spice-devel] Add support for A8 bitmap format

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 02:15:10 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:18:47AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> >> Heavy handed alternative:
> >>   - Filter the messages in the server and translate any A8 message to ??
>
> For client compatibility this would be great, not sure how much effort
> this is though.

On furthur thought about the option of passing client caps to the
driver, it's not a solution to the current problem anyhow, because of
this case:
 driver writes a8 message to command ring
 new client without a8 comes
 driver gets notification of client caps

> > However, I also forgot about the following scenario:
> > Running old spice server, old QXL driver in VM on host A
> > VM migrates to host B, which has a new spice server, supporting A8.
> > User updates driver to get A8 functionality.
>
> We surely need a switch to make a8 visible to the guest.  live migration
> between hosts with & without a8 isn't going to fly, so you only can
> enable a8 once all host machines in your cluster are upgraded.
>
> One way is to simply bump the qxl pci revision from 3 to 4.

Yeah, this is the simplest. Having caps would be nice though - it
documents the actual change. Not client caps, just server/device caps,
for the client to read. SERVER_CAP_USE_A8 - tells driver to use A8.