[Spice-devel] [Users] console confusion

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 23:22:11 PST 2012

On 03/08/2012 01:24 AM, Joe Pruett wrote:
> my desktop system is  running centos6 with downloaded firefox 10.  i
> downloaded and compiled spice-xpi 2.7.  i can interact with the console
> one time, then i have to log out of the portal and back in again in
> order to get the icon and popup menu to not be greyed out anymore.

cc-ing spice-devel for hints on logs you should look at

> so i have a few questions:
>
> 1. is this just an issue of using an unsupported browser?

FF10 would be the long term stable firefox release, so most likely it
will be the focus for support actually.

> 2. ie9 seems to be supported, but i obviously need something more to be
> able to view the console.  i don't get an error, so i'm not sure what i
> should install.  the spice viewer i find at spice-space needs libraries
> and the libraries there are just a zip file.  does something need to go
> on the server to auto-download code?

you need to place an activex of spice.
spice-devel - any status on availability of source or binary form of it
for community?

> 3. i figured i'd try vnc, but in that case the icon and menu option are
> always greyed out.  just trying vnc to the appropriate host requires a
> password and none of the ones i'd suspect seem to work.  is there a
> default?  or some way to find the password?

currently only to set it via the API/SDK/CLI.

> 4. i saw some vague discussion of display networks in the manual, but
> nothing in the interface seems to jump out at me. it seems like for most
> uses, a simple web based console is what is needed.  java or active-x
> (or javascript/canvas magic).  is this something that is in the
> commercial version, but not the free one?

display network is to choose which network on the host should be used.
it is a cluster level option on the network.
only relevant if you configure multiple logical networks at DC/Cluster
level.