[Spice-devel] Spice agent for XSpice

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 11:33:16 PST 2012

Hi,

I recently sent a mail to Marc-André Lureau, inquiring about
clipboard sharing support in his virt-viewer builds for Win-
dows. It turned out that the reason clipboard sharing doesn't
work is because Xspice does not yet spawn an agent.

Marc-André subsequently got Alon Levy into the discussion,
who had this to say on how this might be pulled off:

"I'm really glad to hear someone is actually using this. To implement
clipboard sharing is indeed just an Xspice issue. You'll need to have an
agent talking to spice server not via a virtio device and qemu. Looking
at vdagent-linux I guess there are a few questions:
  * do we run vdagentd and vdagent as subprocesses of Xspice
   (actually Xorg)
  * is there a way to emulate uinput (not related to clipboard)
  * more a statement - I think the clipboard part is relatively easy,
    you can replace the hardcoded /dev path for the virtio-serial port
    with a pipe.

I guess I would try to split vdagent to a library and app, and then link
the library into spiceqxl_drv.so (i.e. xf86-video-qxl)."

I'm still pretty keen on getting this to work in my Xspice-
based setup, and since I was encouraged to bring this topic
to the list here goes. Please chime in :).

On another note, I've started to look into what it will take
to write a 'QtSpice' to match spice-gtk, which I'd then like
to use to add SPICE support to KDE's bundled remote desktop
viewer, krdc. But that's for another thread some later time.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein