[Spice-devel] [Qemu-devel] seamless migration with spice

Yonit Halperin yhalperi at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 11:45:46 PDT 2012

Hi,
On 03/12/2012 03:50 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>> Can you explain/exemplify, why sending data as a blob (either by (a) or
>> (b)), that is verified only by the two ends that actually use it, is a
>> problem?
>
> It tends to be not very robust.  Especially when the creating/parsing is
> done ad-hoc and the format changes now and then due to more info needing
> to be stored later on.  The qemu migration format which has almost no
> structure breaks now and then because of that.  Thus I'd prefer to not
> go down this route when creating something new.
>
> cheers,
>    Gerd

Exposing spice server internals to the client/qemu seems to me more
vulnerable then sending it as a blob. Nonetheless, it introduces more
complexity to backward compatibility support and it will need to involve
not only the capabilities/versions of the server but also those of the
qemu/client. Which reminds me, that we also need capabilities
negotiation for the migration protocol between the src and the destination.

Regards,
Yonit.