[Spice-devel] log file for spice-gtk

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 05:08:15 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Yonit Halperin <yhalperi at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The caller of virt-viewer/spice-gtk can redirect logging to files. By
>> experience, I'd say this is the right solution, as it avoid filling
>> disk or getting complicated logging (it's not difficult to get several
>> megabytes in several files...)
>>
> There is no need to dump everything. For this aim we should use log levels,
> which should be configurable via a configuration file or something similar.

I would rather use an environment variable in this case. It's much
more flexible, and you don't risk to ruin user configuration everytime
you install a new version (I have seen this problem recently tackled,
but the tarball will still overwrite it for example...)

> I beg to differ you. From my experience, spice client logs are very helpful.
> With the minimal information spice-client log holds, we could help many
> users. Sometimes you cannot reproduce problems at your own environment, and
> you can't ask the user to use backtrace.

That would hold with standard redirection.

>> Why? Who is used to spicec.log? there isn't such thing anymore, and it
>> hasn't been "specified" what is spicec.log.
>
> Well, there used to be such thing for a while, and we did use it. QE also
> knows about it...

But it's completely gone, now logging is completely different.

--
Marc-André Lureau