[Spice-devel] spice.proto vs spice1.proto

Brian Vetter bjvetter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:10:56 PDT 2012

There's been a lot of work/effort moving the protocol handling, marshalling/demarshalling code, etc to a common submodule. I also saw several references over the last few weeks/month on the tunnel channel and the smartcard channel, in particular on how those modules may be out of date ("bit rot" was one of the comments). I noticed that those two channels are in spice.proto but not in spice1.proto. Looking through the code, the protocol is chosen through a session property so only one version of the protocol is being used during a given session.

So is it the idea that Spice1.proto is the newer protocol and more likely to be supported long term and Spice.proto is for backwards compatibility with some servers? Or is it that the protocol is dependent upon the needs of the client and it (or the user) thus chooses which one to use? Combined with the comment that the tunnel channel code was out of date/hadn't kept up makes me think that most of the effort is currently focused on support for spice1.proto.

Also, has anyone updated the spice protocol document on spice-space.org or is that considered up to date?

Thanks,

Brian