[Spice-devel] Native Spice Drawing?

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 14:16:02 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 05:12:26PM +0100, Lee Essen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to spice, and am using it very effectively with qemu, however it strikes me that there is potential to use it as a standalone embedded server for applications who only have a remote display requirement. The obvious candidate is probably some kind of broker, but I'm sure there are many other examples.
>
> Has anyone considered this? Am I missing the point? (which wouldn't be the first time!)
>
> If the "primitives" are relatively easy to get at, then surely it wouldn't be such a tough challenge to build something like an SDL layer for it?

Are you talking about using Spice as a sort of graphics toolkit? I don't
think that's impossible, but I think the right approach here would be to
write something like a gtk/qt backend (for gtk there is already broadway
[1], so yet another backend, but this time using spice).

If you want to remote an application without a vm you can already use
Xspice [2] for it too, but it is not at the level I think you are talking
about (but perhaps will suit you).

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2011/03/15/gtk-html-backend-update/
[2] http://spice-space.org/download.html#Xspice