[Spice-devel] Mouse disappears in multi monitor setup / spice-vdagent issues

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sat Mar 31 21:55:54 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 03/31/2012 09:56 PM, Matteo Cerutti wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have recently become very interested in SPICE and decided to give it a try and see if it could replace the NX solution that I have in place.
>
> I have installed Fedora 16 KVM host, where I also upgraded the default spice, kvm, qemu, virt-manager etc. packages to the latest available at ftp://ftp.solnet.ch/mirror/fedora/linux//updates/16/x86_64.
>
> I then virtualized a Fedora 16 guest where I am not running any spice-vdagent at the moment. However, I upgraded xorg-x11-server-Xorg, xorg-x11-server-comon, xorg-x11-server-Xephyr and xorg-x11-drv-qxl to the latest packages available at the link above on the virtualized guest.
>
> Through virt-manager, I set up the virtual machine with two QXL devices in order to get the dual head display to work.
>
> In the virtual guest, I then set up Xinerama via /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows:
>
> 	Section"ServerFlags"
> 		Option	"Xinerama"	"true"
> 	EndSection
>          Section"Device"
>                  Identifier"QXL0"
>                  Driver"qxl"
> 		BusID	"PCI:0:2:0"
> 		Screen	0
>          EndSection
>          Section"Device"
>                  Identifier"QXL1"
>                  Driver"qxl"
> 		BusID	"PCI:0:8:0"
> 		Screen	1
>          EndSection
> 	Section"Monitor"
> 		Identifier"Monitor0"
> 	EndSection
> 	Section"Monitor"
> 		Identifier"Monitor1"
> 	EndSection
> 	Section"Screen"
> 		Identifier"screen0"
> 		DefaultDepth 24
> 		SubSection"Display"
> 			Depth 24
> 			Modes"1024x768"
> 		EndSubSection
> 		Device"QXL0"
> 		Monitor"Monitor0"
> 	EndSection
> 	Section"Screen"
> 		Identifier"screen1"
> 		Device"QXL1"
> 		DefaultDepth 24
> 		SubSection"Display"
> 			Depth 24
> 			Modes"1024x768"
> 		EndSubSection
> 		Monitor"Monitor1"
> 	EndSection
>          Section"ServerLayout"
>                  Identifier"Default Layout"
>                  Screen	0	"screen0"
> 		Screen	1	"screen1"  RightOf"screen0"
> 		Option"Xinerama"  "true"
>          EndSection
>
> I then tried to connect via spicec and I successfully got two windows. First results are pretty good. The primary behaves as primary and so does the secondary, excellent. Also, it appears that the screen1 is correctly set to be to the right of screen0.

> [...]

Multi-head should work if you remove the usb-tablet from the vm configuration.

Getting multi-head working with an absolute input device requires some X-server patches. I've a patched version of the x-server available here:
http://people.fedoraproject.org/~jwrdegoede/xorg-x11-server-f16-multimon/

This is a slightly older version then what is Fedora 16 atm, but I lost my backported sources, so these binaries are all I have :| These patches are
upstream in the Fedora-17 X-server version so no changes should be needed there (I did not test this yet).

Besides needing an updated X-server you must also use the agent to get working absolute input, and you need a newer version then we ship in
F-16. I've just started a build of a newer agent version for Fedora-16 here:

Using the above X-server + agent rpms should fix your issue.

Regards,

Hans