[Spice-devel] Precompiled win32 spice-gtk and/or remote-viewer client

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed May 23 19:26:29 PDT 2012

Hola

> Thanks for the reply. Some time ago I built the spice-gtk client on
> fedora using mingw32. Since we'll have to ship a custom installer
> (which
> sets up the procol handler for 'spice://' style (see
> http://www.foss-cloud.org/en/index.php/Protocol_Handler_Spice ) I'll
> probably have to setup a build environment anyway, rather soon as it
> seems.

I am afraid. But since all the deps are now in fedora, it should be
a breath to compile it thanks to mingw. Ping me if you can't. Publishing
a up to date Windows client is still high in our priority list.

> Another issue: we're currently using URLs (and a protocol handler) to
> forward the spice connection information from our web-based
> management
> interface to the client.
> This works fine with some restrictions:
> * the password is visible in the process listings
> * does not support SASL
> * does not work if more configuration data (for example a
> certificate)
> have to be pushed to the client
>
> Other solutions (Citrix, RDP) have configuration files and register
> their viewer with the MimeType of the file instead.
> Is there something similar planned for remote-viewer/spice-gtk?

Yes, and no. Virt-viewer does register handling of spice:// uri in
GNOME. However, we haven't done so for Windows yet, someone documented
how to do it in a bug recently, iirc.

However, as you said, URI is limited, and can expose password etc..
So for that, we use the Spice controller protocol:
http://spice-space.org/page/Whiteboard/ControllerProtocol

This is what is used by browser expensions spice-xpi and spice-x.
(there is example html from their respective projects) That's how
RHEV/ovirt interface opens Spice connections.

cheers