[Spice-devel] Very poor performance on KVM with Ubuntu 12.10 guest

Jodi Curtis jodi.curtis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 17:14:39 PST 2012

Hi

Having fought my way through getting used to KVM, I have installed a
development desktop along side some servers, and the performance is
unusable.

The Ubuntu GUI seems very slow and not very responsive. It was not as bad
as VGA but it is still unusable, all I need is to work in a development gui
and do the things developers do, but if I can't even get text entered in at
normal speed, and have menu's responsive enough to use, it's not much good
to me.

I don't know if this is normal, if it is is there a better guest I could
choose for this?

Under system details > Graphics

Driver is shown as Unknown and Experience is shown as standard

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-qxl is already at the latest one

Thanks

KVM video device is QXL
KVM graphics is spice

Guest is Ubuntu 12.10
Host is Ubuntu 12.10 server with KVM

Server is fairly powerful (8 cores 16GB RAM)

<video>
    <model type='qxl' vram="32768" heads='1'/>

<!-- optional defaut optimal setting unknown
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
-->

  </video>

  <!-- spice unsecure setting -->
  <graphics type="spice" autoport="yes" keymap="en-gb">

    <image compression="auto_glz"/>
    <streaming mode="filter"/>
    <clipboard copypaste="yes"/>
    <mouse mode="client"/>
    <!-- enable connection from remote terminal -->
    <listen type="address" address="0.0.0.0" />
    <disable-ticketing />
  </graphics>