[Spice-devel] Keymap issues with en-gb

Jodi Curtis jodi.curtis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:27:36 PST 2012

Hi

I have been working with kvm-spice connected to virt-viewer/remote-viewer

I have a Ubuntu server 12.10 hosting four virtual machines, one is a spice
desktop, Xubuntu 12.10, the others are ubuntu Server 12.10

All were installed over spice via iso mounted via virsh
qemu-monitor-command. and the servers had ssh installed on them

The ssh machines when accessed via ssh from a Windows computer (client)
have no problem sending certain keys, but when using spice the keys are
either not sent or not responded to on the guest.

The keyboard maps seem to be OK, with the most common issue being a US
keyboard map on a UK keyboard, this is not the problem as the symbol above
the 2 works correctly (a hash on UK keyboards, an at symbol - I think on US)

The keys that are not working are:

the rightmost key before the number row, symbols ¬/` on the UK keyboard
the two keys to the right of the :/;, on a UK keyboard have problems, these
are #/~ and @/'
@ the upper character on the @/' sends a ¬, the upper character on the `/¬
The #/~ doesn't work at all
The ' sends a `, but not if pressed rapidly, and not often,

There are no errors consistently occurring when pressing these keys,
although occasional errors are "sync_lock_modifiers_not_implemented"

The spice configuration is <graphics type="spice" autoport="yes"
keymap="en-gb">
</spice>

The guest is configured as normal, although various UK and US keyboard
combinations have been tried including GB and US
I have tried several keyboards for each of these including extended
winkeys, standard 105, 104 and 102, along with some major brands.

I can't help feeling this is a problem either with the gb map somewhere,
virt-viewer, , or the spice communications

I'm not sure how to debug this one to find the cause.

Thanks