[Spice-devel] [Users] multiple concurrent spice consoles (was Ovirt + Spice + VDI)

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 02:49:48 PDT 2012

John A. Sullivan III píše v Čt 13. 09. 2012 v 12:36 -0400:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 20:16 +0430, Mohsen Saeedi wrote:
> >

> > John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com> wrote on Thu, 13
> > Sep 2012 08:38:11 -0400:

> > You can use some recipe for get ridding windows XP RDP limitation:
> > http://www.petri.co.il/multiple-remote-desktop-sessions-on-windows-xp-sp3.htm
> >
> I think the problems are more legal than technical.  From the above
> link:
> "However, be warned. Before you begin, I need to warn you that patching
> the file and allowing more than one concurrent Remote Desktop session
> will violate a few lines in the Windows XP EULA. Proceed with caution
> and at your own risk."
> > > <snip>
> > > We are actually quite interested in something like this.  In effect, it
> > > is RDS but replaces the RDP protocol with SPICE for the advantages SPICE
> > > brings.
> > >
> > > We have also been toying with the idea of using KVM/KSM to move to a
> > > single server per user.  This would provide much greater isolation and
> > > non-repudiation but we are concerned about the overhead of KVM on the
> > > KVM host and deduplication on the SAN.  Thanks - John
> > I think so, spice has experimental feature for multiple client to
> > single windows XP now. is it true??
> > and what is the details for idea of using KVM/KSM to move to a single
> > server per user? I didn't understand it very well.
> > Thanks
> This is something we are able to do splendidly well with VServer and
> X2Go (an NX implementation).  With the VServer hashification feature, I
> can have 400 VMs on a host and only take one VM's worth of space for
> system files.

oVirt (RHEV) templates will do the same for you.

>   Moreover, all instances in memory only take the space of
> one instance. Thus, we get deduplication and KSM almost for free.

oVirt (RHEV) runs KSM only when the host memory gets fuller but I seem
to remember that guys were able to have high 1000's of % of memory
overcommit ratios

BTW, how does VServer implement its memory sharing, isn't it KSM
internally too?

> Because the additional overhead is so minuscule (minimal memory and disk
> and almost no virtualization overhead since it is a container technology
> instead of a hypervisor), and because there are no licensing issues for
> our Linux desktops, it makes sense to give each user a dedicated VM.
> Not only does that give us excellent isolation from errant processes but
> it also means (because of the details of our implementation) that each
> user has a consistent IP address allowing us to correlate network events
> with specific users.

in oVirt, your guest systems have stable MAC address so with properly
configured DHCP/DNS, you'd get the same.

David