[Spice-devel] Opus, alternative video codec and hardware acceleration

Fabio Fantoni fantonifabio at tiscali.it
Mon Aug 5 07:12:11 PDT 2013

Il 01/08/2013 21:31, Jeremy White ha scritto:
> On 08/01/2013 07:54 AM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
>> Are there news about these things?
>> - Opus (now stable) implementation and the option to have celt as
>> optional on compile.
>>    about celt optional there is already a patch from one debian maintainer.
> I, too, am interested in this.  My survey of the archives suggests three
> issues.  One, we have to be over our anger at the celt bait and switch
> and we have to trust that opus will be stable.
>
> Two, we have a sample rate issue, which I think Gerd summarized best here:
>    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2012-June/009645.html
>
> And, finally, you actually need someone to do the work.  I don't really
> have a sense how much work the qemu side would be.  The server code
> seems nicely isolated into snd_worker.c.  The client side is likely to
> be fairly straight forward as well.
>
> I'm willing to give it the old college try, but I'm going to be out of
> my depth and will likely only work in small bursts here and there.  So
> if someone else is planning on working on it, I'll cheerfully stop or
> shift into a supportive role.
>
> Also, just so I make all of my evil intentions plain, I want codecs that
> will work in all browsers.  So far as I know, Opus is not yet supported
> in IE.  So I may try to generalize the structure so I could add Vorbis
> or mp3 down the road.

Thanks for your reply.
I think that mp3 is a questionably choice since it is not opensource and
has some license fees.
Actually Opus is the only opensource, royalty-free project and that
seems to be very adactive, optimal for both lan and wan.
For what concerning IE, unfortunately IMHO is a bad browser, in
particular in the implementation of the standards.
In the past when I was doing web programming it gave me a lot of
problems, so best bet for a good choice of a decent codec is to leave IE
concernings at all.
Lets focus instead on better implemented web browsers like firefox
and/or chrome instead.