[Spice-devel] Bug62033 Add support for --spice-disable-effects client option to spice-vdagent on Linux guests with Gnome3

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Aug 5 23:16:37 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 08/06/2013 12:47 AM, Fedor Lyakhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally looked in vdagent for Windows and find out that it works
> differently. From a quick grasp I get following:
> Vdagent for Windows applies settings listed --disable-effects=... to
> current session via WinAPI call
> For settings not listed there, a reload is done - settings are
> restored to values from Windows registry of current active user (looks
> like API call that disables them doesn't affect register, at least
> that place).

This windows behavior sounds good, but not something we can easily do

> So my question is - should I stick with the plan (i), or go for the
> approach as at Windows vdagent (similar to my previous idea (ii))?
> Instead of implementing '--reset-effects' option I need to store
> values of settings somewhere before disabling them and restore them
> back when connected without setting listed in --disable-effects.
> Preserving user changes is a challenge. I think it should be doable
> though - at least via implementing similar environment to Windows case
> - vdagent will need to maintain an analog of Windows register storage
> for effect settings and track user changes of their real counterparts
> of Gnome settings... Seems doable using GSettings.

Doable yes, but what if the agent crashes, or the machine is forced off
while agent settings are in force, will the agent detects it has crashed
and restore the user settings from some sort of non volatile storage?

This is likely doable (ignoring possible races wrt crash scenarios), but
not very KISS. I would like to see a much more KISS solution if possible,
even if that means it will be less nice.

Regards,

Hans