[Spice-devel] SPICE_INTERFACE_KEYBOARD - scancodes vs. utf8

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Tue Aug 6 02:54:01 PDT 2013

> > > Scancodes are great for use in qemu/X11, but other applications needs
> > > utf8.
> >
> > Which?
>
> I want to write a terminal emulator, exporting the vt100 display over spice.
>
> Example:
>
> # spiceterm -c /bin/bash
>
> That way you can run any terminal based command over spice.
>
> We already have that for VNC.

So you want to have a terminal emulator using spice-server directly? in that case maybe we need to extend the protocol. I guess converting scan codes to utf-8 is impossible, without additional information, which currently we rely on the guest to decide on. I'm not sure what happens with Xspice, it might benefit from this too. This would entail adding a capability to the inputs channel and a new message.