[Spice-devel] SPICE_INTERFACE_KEYBOARD - scancodes vs. utf8

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Tue Aug 6 11:03:58 PDT 2013

> Perhaps this brokenness is unavoidable with spice android/html5 clients, but you
> should be aware that if you go down that route, you are picking a solution which
> is unfixably broken.

It is also broken if you implement it on the client side ;-) And we already have that code,
so it would be a waste of time to re-implement that on the client side.

> The only other option you'd have is to take QEMU's keyboard emulation out of
> the picture entirely. Define a spice guest agent extension that lets you pass key
> symbols straight to the guest agent, which can give them to the windowing
> system without any translation steps involved.
> Obviously this wouldn't be much help during intial VM bootup, but maybe that's
> an acceptable tradeoff ?

Well, this is not really the problem I want to solve. I want to write a terminal emulator,
and I am interested in an utf8 input stream (scancodes are useless in this case).
IMHO, the spice library should be flexible enough to provide that.