[Spice-devel] spice-vdagent[$PID]: clipboard: unexpected selection type STRING

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 04:08:46 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 08/08/2013 10:51 AM, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've blocks of this message twice a second in the syslog of my kvm guest:
>
> spice-vdagent[3676]: clipboard: unexpected selection type STRING
>
> The messages start to appear when I copy something in the host and they stop
> when I copy something in the guest. I also get the following line once when I
> select text in the host:

This sounds like something in the guest is polling the clipboard owner
(which at this point is the agent) for data repeatedly and doing so in a
manner which does not follow the icccm specification.

Not really surprising given that the fact that is polling alone already
suggests that it is very broken code (there are events to get notified
of clipboard changes).

Attached is a patch which adds some extra debugging to the agent, can
you please build the agent inside the guest with this patch, or simply
build from git-master, and then reproduce. I expect the second message
the patch adds to appear in the logs, which would confirm this is an
issue with some other application under X. Once this is confirmed I'll
probably just change the messages in question to debug messages, to avoid
spamming the logs in case of broken apps communicating with the client.

Regards,

Hans