[Spice-devel] spice crashes

Trebor Forban trebor.forban at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:43:08 PST 2013

2013/2/20 Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com>:

>> I haven't recompiled with debugging for the stack trace yet; is it
>> still necessary, or does the information above suffice?
>
> Sorry for dropping the ball on this. I'm afraid it's hard to debug even with this information. If you could run the vm under valgrind (you need to have a valgrind that has randomization disabled - see http://spice-space.org/wiki/index.php?title=Valgrind) it would perhaps point to the culprit. Stack trace would help too, but it won't point to the problem assuming it is memory corruption.

Hi Alon,

when trying to use valgrind I'm getting "Syscall param ioctl(generic)
points to uninitialised byte(s)", so I guess, if I understand
correctly, I need to compile libssl with -DPURIFY, or is there a flag
I can use when compiling valgrind? I would rather not experiment too
much, as the machine is serving approximately 40 VMs in production
use. I'm a bloody beginner; if you can provide me with more explicit
instructions, so that I don't risk overwriting original libs and
messing up the system, I'd be more than willing to give it a try.

Under non-debugging circumstances, the crashes can be provoked quite
easily, by overzealous use of the delete-key in msword or outlook.
When running under valgrind albeit without randomization disabled, I
cannot provoke the crashes; I'm guessing, it may be a race condition
that fails to trigger under the substantial slowdown caused by the
debugging.

regards and thanks,
TF