[Spice-devel] spice crashes

Trebor Forban trebor.forban at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 06:05:57 PST 2013

Not meaning to rub anyone the wrong way, I would still like to note a
few unqualified observations:

I suspect the problems may be within the spice-guest-tools.

With an older version of the spice-guest-tools (I believe
spice-guest-tools-0.1.exe) there was a bug/race which frequently
caused guest hangs while trying to boot win7 if smp was set to 1. I
picked up a patched version on a mailing list where this problem was
redeemed.

I believe, that this fix was in spice-guest-tools-0.2.exe, but
spice-guest-tools-0.2.exe had the problem that the vdagent would
occasionally fail to start, but otherwise the system was very stable.

With  spice-guest-tools-0.3.exe and spice-guest-tools-0.52.exe the
vdagent starts reliably, but the hang at boot is back, at least with
smp=1 and NIC_MODEL='virtio' and the system is quit unstable.

Please take this all with a grain of salt, as all the while various
other software components have been changing; when not using redhat or
fedora qemu with spice is very much a moving target.

Best regards,
TF