[Spice-devel] Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 02:24:47 PST 2013

Hi

----- Mensaje original -----
> Hi all,
>
> Marc-André just did a new Fedora build fixing the
> SSL issues we we're having with 0.15 (thanks for that),
> but this is based on a git snapshot, and because of
> the way our buildsys code generates git snapshot
> tarbals is numbered 0.15.3
>
> There are several problems with this:
> 1. If we've a serious bug like this, we should just do
> a new tarbal release with official announcements,
> updating of the download page, etc. Fedora / RHEL are
> not our only downstreams. Other distributions are
> packaging spice-gtk too, and we should behave as a good
> upstream for them. Doing an official  0.15.1 bugfix release
> would clearly indicate to those other upstreams that
> that is the version to use, rather then them having
> to pick a random git snapshot.

If we want a new release, let's just do 0.16

0 is major - bump only for API break
16 is minor - new releases of spice-gtk

For ABI break, each library (spice-gtk/glib/controller) has independent visioning.

> 2. The way our "make dist" generates git snapshot tarbals,
> makes it impossible to do a 0.15.1 release now, since
> we now already have a 0.15.3 in Fedora.

Because we don't need to with the scheme above. Each update in git is a third revision field getting bump after each commit.

> I would like to propose the following to resolve this:
>
> 1. Change "make dist" to add a .0 after the last official
> release, so that the git snapshot which was just generated
> would have been called 0.15.0.3.
>
> 2. Whenever we believe some bugfixes are important enough
> to warrant a new Fedora build, also do an official bugfix
> release, *and* use that for the Fedora packages, ie the
> 0.15.3 snapshot would have been an official 0.15.1 release

I was waiting a couple more testing day before releasing 0.16

However, I'll do a couple of RC releases before making official releases next time.